Documents regarding the origins of Woodenbridge Golf Club are hard to come by. This is no surprise, considering the first officially documented game of golf in Woodenbridge took place way back in 1884. It was in that year that Col. E.A.R. Bayly offered an invitation to Sir Stanley Cochran of Woodbrook House to field a team of gentlemen for a round in what has become one of Ireland's most beautiful courses.
It is understood, however that golf was being played in Woodenbridge prior to this date, but this is the official date of the birth of our club and in 1894, the club was opened to all who wished to play. The first committee was formed in 1897 and with the course now fully commissioned, Woodenbridge joined the Golfing Union of Ireland (GUI) in 1899. This was also the year of our first inter-club competition where we played against Bray Golf Club. Interestingly, the result of that match was never recorded!
The course enjoyed many trials and tribulations between that time and now with significant redesigning taking place in 1915 under the eye of Tom Travers, the then renowned Dun Laoghaire professional.
It remained a nine-hole course until 1994 when Paddy Merrigan was commissioned to design the additional nine hole layout and extend Woodenbridge to a Par 71, 18-hole course. The new holes were blended seamlessly and agelessly into the fabled original nine holes. He subsequently upgraded the old nine holes in a most sensitive manner so that strong, entertaining golf is provided to balance modern technology with the essence of this historic and beautiful place. J.B. Carr, almost certainly Ireland's most successful amateur golfer, once described the 18-hole course as "Ireland's Augusta and probably the most scenic course in Ireland".
Woodenbridge Golf Club is truly steeped in history and can only really be appreciated by visiting the clubhouse to view the many photographs and paintings that adorn the walls.